Almost two years ago we started the Ecodesign Project
in our company, with the aim of looking for more sustainable solutions to the containers and packaging we were using. During this time we have achieved different achievements and we have incorporated new materials that are more respectful with the environment.
The improvements applied are:
- We have replaced the stretch film on the pallets throughout the company with a new material that allows us to reduce the use of plastic by 45-50%, depending on the manufacturing plant.
- We have also changed the material used in the sack sheets. The new material incorporates 70% recycled plastic at the Vilaverd plant and 50% at the Ejea de los Caballeros plant.
- Regarding the material to wrap the packages, a material has been developed with 50% recycled plastic, already applied to most of the products under our GC brand.
- In Mass Consumption, more than 40% of our consumption is also made of this type of material. And also for the foils of the packages, we have begun to work with a 100% compostable material, an example of sustainability and that completes our commitment to recycling.
- For the professional market, this material is being used in our GC Class Nature napkins.
- In the mass consumer market, this new material has been applied to the my tissue ecologic + range, our brand of recycled paper for this market, thus differentiating itself from the rest of the existing proposals on the market.
At the Group level, we have set an ambitious goal to close 2020: reduce 47% of the consumption of plastics.
As of today, a 25% reduction has been achieved, which represents 90,000 kg less of virgin plastic put on the market.